A couple of months ago I discovered a fabulous french indie pattern company called Deer & Doe. This company has only recently started printing their patterns and instructions in english and I am very excited to try out some of their designs. While I am waiting for the patterns I ordered to get here, I decided to take a crack at their free downloadable t-shirt pattern: The Plantain. The Plantain is offered as a free PDF pattern. So you just download it, print it out, tape it all together and then cut out your size. It's actually pretty cool and means that you have your pattern pretty much instantly. I had heard/seen/read lots of good things about this t-shirt on the interwebs, and because of it's relaxed silhouette, I thought it would be a good match for me, plus it seems like one of those patterns that would be endlessly customizable.
I am really happy with how this one turned out. I decided to use a patterned fabric for the neckline and the back panel. I have a couple of t-shirts very much like this from Anthropologie and I wore them a ton last summer. (It's so cool to be able to make my own!) I think that added the back panel just makes the plain old t-shirt a little more interesting. I got the pink jersey knit fabric on sale at Fabricland. They were having this ridiculous deal, where you buy 1 metre and you get 3 free, so I have a number of things made out of this fabric, and it's buttery soft to boot. The flowery jersey is from Girl Charlee and it's just as nice. The construction of this tee, was really easy and the directions were very straight forward. I used my Serger to put it all together and then used my double-needle for the hems.
It seems to be that I do most of my projects in two or more, and this one is no exception. Here is my second version:
For this one, both fabrics came from Girl Charlee. I can't seem to get enough of stripes. I open my closet and it is filled with stripes, so instead of making a fully striped t-shirt, I thought making the back and sleeves solid, this one would at least be a little bit different.
The remote for my camera only seems to work when I point it directly at the camera. I was trying hard to be discreet with it, but it wouldn't work, so that's why I am sometimes awkwardly bending, or twisting. (Just in case it wasn't obvious enough in the pictures LOL).
I really enjoyed making both these little tees, and they were super quick to whip up. I know they will get a ton of wear from me this summer. Looking forward to making more Deer & Doe patterns!