Morgan Jeans Take 2

Oh my goodness you guys! Time just keeps flying by doesn't it? I had intended to have this post written and published no less than a week after my last post but that just didn't happen. I just always seem to have a lot of stuff going on, and blogging is usually the thing that gets pushed way down on the to do list. Anyway, better late than never right? Let's jump right in.

I'm not sure if you guys have noticed this about me, but I pretty much always like to make multiples of the same pattern. Sometimes it's because I absolutely love the pattern and I have to make it over and over and over, or sometimes it's because I'm not in love with my first effort due to my fabric or size choice, and I really want to give it a fair shot.

With Morgan, while I loved my first pair, I really wanted to make a second pair that would be the super comfy and relaxed fit that I look for in a boyfriend jean. My first pair was so stiff because of the denim, that for my second pair I opted for a little bit lighter weight stretch denim with about 1% lycra (and when I say lighter weight, I don't mean light weight, this is still a 10oz denim, I just mean lighter than the 12.5 oz I used for my last pair). Also while we're getting technical, this denim is a 2x1 weave, vs the heavy 3x1 weave I used last time. The 1% lycra gives this particular denim about 10% stretch, whereas a denim with 2-3% lycra (which you would want for a skinny jean like Ginger, or a super fitted jean like Birkin) would give anywhere from 20-30% stretch. The other thing that I did a bit differently with this denim, is I washed and dried it right away - no raw denim this time. So right from the get go, this pair was destined to be softer.

I also decided to distress this pair with some sandpaper as I went along. I used a 220 grit sandpaper with a little hand sanding block I picked up at the local hardware store.

FYI, if you decide to sand your jeans, prepare for your hands to turn really blue and to get blue dust and fuzz everywhere!

After I did my the majority of my sanding, I started sewing everything together, adding a bit more sanding as I went along. I also decided to add one of my Pug & Needle tags to the back pocket. I'm not 100% sure that I love the placement, but I was too lazy to change it. Anyway, here's what my jeans looked like when they were almost finished (they just need a hem, a button, and belt loops):

Once I finished them, I washed them (you kind of have to wash sanded denim right away, or you risk getting blue dust everywhere you go), and ended up sanding them even more. This resulted in some popped topstitching, which you might notice in the next few photos.

You would not believe how different denim can feel with even a light sanding. Have you ever worn or tried on high-end designer jeans that feel super soft? I'm thinking like Citizens of Humanity in particular because I had a pair years ago that felt just like these, but I also have a pair of Gap jeans that feels similar too. Anyway, It's gets all soft and almost flannel like. I really wish I could send you all this pair so you could touch them and feel the difference. It's amazing. If you get a chance, try it with a swatch for yourself. Even just a light sanding can really change the feel.

Also pictured, a Grainline Studio Lark tee with scoop neck and short sleeves made out of a luscious bamboo knit from Blackbird Fabrics.

Anyway, back to the jeans. This pair is made with the second rendition of the pattern (there were 3 rounds of testing), so I can tell you that they are a size 12 at the cropped length. This pattern has two lengths, but the cropped length actually ends up being the perfect regular length on me. And in the pictures, I've rolled them 3 times. I didn't make any fit changes again, and am really, really happy with the fit right off the pdf.  I chose my size based on the size chart, and I'm happy with the fit, but if I were to make these again in an even stretchier denim, I would probably size down. For reference, I usually make a size 10 in Gingers. I also could probably use some very minor adjustments, like added a little to the back thigh inseam and maybe shaving a tiny bit off the front crotch curve, but honestly, I'm quite happy with how the fit as is.

I actually made these jeans at the very beginning of March, and we even took some pictures of them back then too, but I decided that they were a bit to wintery by the time the pattern was released,  so we took some more "springy" shots. Anyway, I thought I'd share a couple of the old photos with you too so you can see how they look uncuffed, and because a couple of the close ups show the distressing a little better.

I hit these pretty hard with the sandpaper, intending to get some holes, and it worked out pretty well. My husband thought I was crazy at the time, but I think he's come around on the distressed look. 

I'm also wearing the Knitbot Lesley sweater that knit over the winter and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

So I'm really happy with how these jeans worked out and they are my go to super, comfy, pajama jean. I can't wait to make more pairs (like I need more jeans). If you've been following along with me on Instagram, I'm sure you've seen this pair a number of times during this Me Made May. Anyway, I'm off to work on some belated Mother's Day sewing. Fellow Canucks enjoy your long weekend, and everyone else I hope you have a great weekend too!