So I might be a little late to the party, but I wanted to join in on Gillian's year end round up. I had lots of fun discovering sewing blogs last January and I especially loved reading everyone's round ups. I only just started sewing at the beginning of 2014 so I did have a number of projects that didn't quite work out. A lot of them have long been forgotten (I do keep a sewing notebook however and have written about pretty much every garment I've made this year), but I thought I would share a few of the ones I have photos of. Really even if I am saying these garments are fails in this post, they really aren't. Even if they didn't work out I did still have fun sewing them up and with every project I sew, I learn - and that's all good.
Anyway, with out further ado, here are my top 5 misses:
1) Megan Nielsen's Tania Culottes - This is a great pattern, and I had lots of fun making it up, but the finished product just didn't suit my figure. I had hoped that they would fit a lot like a circle skirt and become a summer staple, but they looked horrible on me (so horrible that you will never see me in them). I did however have fun learning how to use the rolled hem feature on my serger. The fabric was a cheap but cute polyester I picked up in the clearance section of Fabricland. I've seen lots of great versions of this pattern online, and it looks great on some people, but it's not for me.
2) Bluegingerdoll's Winifred Dress - This one was actually really heart-breaking. I was confident that it was going to fit my shape well based on the pattern description, but after two failed attempts, and lots of Instagram advice, I left it behind. I wasted some gorgeous fabric I got on Goldhawk Road in London, and learned my lesson about making muslin. I still really wish this dress fit me, as I love the style and the bold print, but I just couldn't make it work. I have however taken extensive notes, so I may try it again someday when I'm feeling more confident about fitting.
3) Grainline Studio's Scout Tee - I have made this pattern a number of times now, and to be completely honest, I have never really been happy with the fit. I have one floral version that I wear every once in a while, but usually only when everything else is in the laundry. It's okay, but not good enough for me to get a lot of wear out of. I think that I really need to add a bust dart for it to work on me. I'm a bit too curvy to not have a bit more shape. I still probably would have worn this top as is, but the fabric makes it look like a scrub top. It doesn't look too bad in the photo, but in person it looks awful.
4) Jalie Pattern's Dolman Tops - I actually made 5 of these. I wear 2 of them frequently, but this one just did not turn out. The combination of stripes and long sleeves makes me look like a circus tent. I did end up cutting off the long sleeves which made it better, but I still count it as a fail. I think the look on my face says it all. LOL
5) Christine Hayne's Emery Dress - this is a fantastic pattern and I love all the versions of it around the interwebs, but this version I made just does not work. I was inspired by Lauren's version, and I should have read her post about it more carefully, because she had the same feelings about hers when she was done, as I did about mine. I wore this dress the day I took the pictures, but that was it. It doesn't look too bad in the photos, but the fit is awful. The bodice is super tight, my boobs are squished, and I think the check is just generally unflattering. I made another version in different fabric that I am much happier with. And truth be told, I will probably make another one someday with some more fit adjustments.
So there you go, my misses for 2014. I have learned so much this year and I am now making more garments that I wear more often. My first projects were pretty much all dresses, but now I'm making button-d0wns and jeans! JEANS!!! I'm thrilled! When John gifted me a serger last year at Christmas, I had no idea how this little hobby would take over my life, my blog and introduce me to so many new internet friends. I love this community of sewers and bloggers, and a year later I still can't get enough.
Next up will be my Top 5 Hits. I'm having a hard time narrowing it done.
How was your 2014?